In this post in the Writing series we look at how you can use some Search Engine Optimisation techniques – that’s “SEO” – to make sure people searching Google find your blog.
Writing to help Google find your blog
- Focus on 1 topic per post, put this keyword in the post as follows:
- URL, e.g. http://yourblog.wordpress.com/2015-05-12-keyword
- Body of your text (2-3 times)
- The first 1-2 lines of the post
- Some headings in the post
- Alt-tags of images
- Categories and/or Tags
- Build links to a post (or your blog) to help it rank better – build your online presence!
If you want to know more about how blogging and tweeting can help your academic project or your research check our other posts in this blog, like “What to blog about” and especially follow some of the references like Dr Melissa Terras, UCL, who for example talks about Is blogging and tweeting about research papers worth it? The Verdict. (Also available as audio or video podcasts podcasts in the University of Oxford Engage series.)
This post about writing to help Google find your blog was inspired by a presentation about “Help Google work out what each page is about” from http://oxforddigitalmarketing.co.uk.